The U.S. Navy amphibious assault ship “good man Richard” has been burning for more than 48 hours since the explosion and fire on July 12, injuring 61 people. U.S. Navy major general Philip Sobek said at a news conference on the 14th local time that the attack ship is in stable condition and firefighters are expected to put out the fire in the next 24 hours.
According to today’s us and CNN news, Sobek said on the 14th that although the fire on the “good Richard” is still burning, firefighters have made “significant progress” in extinguishing the fire. “The amphibious assault ship is in a stable condition, there is no fire threat in the storage tank containing about 1 million gallons of fuel, and we are still actively fighting fires from multiple points inside and outside.”
Sobek also said at least 61 people had been slightly injured in the incident, including heatstroke and smoke inhalation. At present, firefighters are putting out two fires on the “good Richard”, one in the front and one in the stern. The senior Navy official said the fire is expected to be put out in the next 24 hours, and the damage assessment must wait until the fire is extinguished.
“Goodman Richard” is a “quasi carrier” with a full displacement of 40000 tons. It was put into service in 1998 with a rated crew of 1200. It can carry up to 16 F-35B vertical take-off and landing stealth fighters or 22 MV-22 helicopters, as well as a 1200 person amphibious expeditionary unit (MEU). U.S. media said the fire caused huge losses to the U.S. Navy, and it may take years to repair the ship and put it back into service.